The inaugural Fatou Annual Tournament and Beauty Contest was described as a huge success despite the scorching heat and inadequate sporting facilities at Oshifo in Ruacana constituency.
The event which took place over the weekend of 2 to 3 October saw youngsters from near and far descending on the small town of Ruacana to compete for top honors in the sport codes of netball, volleyball and soccer.
“It was all a success. It was beyond our expectations. It was really good and full of fun. Everybody wants it to happen again,” said Tulipohamba Ndapoita, the event’s organizer and team manager of Fatou Netball Club.
“I also did talk to some of the entrepreneurs who came at the event to sell kapana and refreshments, and all of them said they actually didn’t make any losses.
“The one challenge we had was actually beyond our control. It was about the hot weather. October is a really hot month, so we are thinking of having the event take place in a different month in future.”
Fatou Tournament Final Results:
Soccer for youth –
- Oshaala FC – 1st prize consisting of a trophy and N$5000 and gold medals
- Kings FC – 2nd prize consisting of N$3000 and silver medals
- Epupa Zebras FC – 3rd prize consisting of bronze medals.
Legends soccer –
- The Heroes FC – 1st prize consisting of N$1100
- Eunda FC – 2nd prize consisting of N$800
- Ministry of Health FC – 3rd prize consisting of N$600.
- Cobra Netball Club – 1st prize consisting of a trophy and N$5000 and gold medals
- Fatou Netball Club – 2nd prize consisting of N$3000 and silver medals
- Ministry of Health Netball Club – 3rd prize consisting of N$2000 and bronze medals.
- Six Stars Volleyball Club from Ondangwa – winner took all N$3000.
In the photo: Fatou Tournament organiser Ms Tulipohamba Ndapoita.